Sunday, August 15, 2010


Wow what a day yesterday. It started at 5:30 am this morning when our ride to Mozambique showed up to transport us and give us the tour of South Africa.

We saw an amazing sunrise as the sun rose over the Drackensburg Mountains. The first thing I noticed was the endless fields of sugar cane and banana trees! Workers in the fields using primitive tools to harvest the crops. I got my first glimpse of the different townships that I will be doing street preaching in. I will be at bus stops and different marketplaces around the township to share the gospel. All I can say is “I was not ready for the impoverish living conditions mixed in with the occasional western culture . You will see hundreds of thousands of people living in mud huts, straw shacks, and tin boxes. Then you drive down the road a few kilometers and you will see great mansions encased in fences lined with barbwire. I was taken back and honestly I am crying as I type this! Trying to make sense of it all! I saw so many people unaware of the conditions in which they live. Our guide showed us the river where so many who don’t have a place to sleep will sleep on the river banks and she said it is nothing for crocodiles in the river to snatch them up in the middle of the night! It is pretty much a heart opening experience. I uploaded a few photos on facebook of our trip to Mozambique. I have a bunch more but it is late and I have to get them off of my other camera and Scott’s camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment